Let’s recap on the players I suggested for pickups last week (not a great week, not bad for depth players either):
- Martin Hanzal (ARZ) – 3 GP – 1 Goal/ 1 Assist/ -1/ 9 SOG
- Jimmy Vesey (NYR) – 4 GP – 0 Goals/ 2 Assist /EVEN/ 5 SOG
- Michael Stone (CGY) – 4 GP – 0 Goals/ 2 Assists/ +4/ 7 SOG
- Jakob Chychrun (ARZ) – 4 GP – 2 Goals/ 1 Assist/ -1/ 3 SOG
- Travis Zajac (NJD) – 2 GP – 1 Goal/ 2 Assists/ -2/ 5 SOG
Let’s see who’s playing/not playing a lot this week:
Teams Playing 4 games:
- Los Angeles
- New Jersey
- Tampa Bay
Teams Playing only 2 or less (bye week) games:
Waiver-Wire Pickups (Percentages owned are via Fantrax.com)
1) Travis Zajac (Forward – 47%) – I’m sticking with Zajac again this week. Putting up 3 points in 2 games last week, he remains hot. Especially with 4 games on the schedule for the Devils this week. Zajac is one of the safer bets in the NHL to put up just over half a point per game, and right now he’s on fire.
Matchups this week: Montreal, Washington, Boston, Columbus
2) Frank Vatrano (Forward – 38%) – Vatrano has been playing very well since coming back to the big league club. With 4 points in his last 5 games, Vatrano is doing very well in a limited role for the Bruins. Boston is right in the middle of a playoff race, so they’ll need scoring from all lines. Expect Vatrano to keep chipping like he has been.
Matchups this week: Arizona, NY Rangers, New Jersey
3) Sebastian Aho (Forward – 69%) – While he is owned in the majority of leagues, if he’s available in yours, take a chance on him this week. Carolina is surely not going to make the playoffs, and they’re likely to ride their rookies from here on out. A couple Canes could be on the move at the deadline, and I expect Aho to see increased ice the rest of the way.
Matchups this week: Florida, Tampa Bay, Arizona (twice)
4) Nick Schmaltz (Forward – 45%) – Schmaltz is on fire right now with 2 goals and 5 assists in his last 5 games. He’s riding the benefit of playing with a fired-up Toews, and he’s taking full advantage. Jump on Schmaltz while you can.
Matchups this week: Pittsburgh, NY Islanders, Nashville
5) Mathieu Perreault (Forward – 31%) – Perreault checks in on the list with the lowest owned percentage, and the most points in his last 5 games (2 goals, 4 assists). Perreault has struggled most of the year, but has picked it up lately. He’s seeing much more ice-time in his last 7 games, and it doesn’t look like that will change.
Matchups this week: Minnesota, St. Louis, Colorado